- Rhymes: -ɒpɪŋ
cropping (plural croppings)
- (mining) An outcrop that is mined for the ore it contains.
- 1905, Waldemar Lindgren, The Copper Deposits of the Clifton-Morenci District, Arizona, page 207:
- Their croppings are either entirely barren or contain only a moderate amount of copper, but much richer ore is ordinarily found just above the chalcocite zone.
- 1912, John Mason Boutwell, Lester Hood Woolsey, Geology and ore deposits of the Park City district, Utah (page 121)
- The cropping of the Quincy ore-bearing bed, the equivalent of the Daly West bed, is stated to have been found at the east end of the present mine and just below the present wagon road.