Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: cross-breed
- (transitive) To produce (an organism) by the mating of individuals of different breeds, varieties, or species; hybridize.
- 1988 April 15, James Krohe Jr., “Where Has All the Flora Gone?”, in Chicago Reader:
- Recalling the crossbreeding of the lakeside daisy, he insists, "If we hadn't polluted that population with Ohio plants it might have vanished.
- (intransitive) To mate so as to produce a hybrid; interbreed.
- (transitive) To mate (an organism) with another organism so as to produce a hybrid.
crossbreed (plural crossbreeds)
organism produced by mating of individuals of different varieties or breeds — see hybrid