Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A massive, easily accessible data repository built on inexpensive computer hardware for storing big data.
- Coordinate term: data mart
- 2010 September 21, Jos van Dongen, tweet , Twitter:
- Data Lake? Cute! RT @mattcasters: Great intro to Pentaho Hadoop int. by Will @wpgorman "Battlebricks" Gorman : http://vimeo.com/14641559
- 2010 October 14, James Dixon, "Pentaho, Hadoop, and Data Lakes" , James Dixon’s Blog:
- Based on the requirements above and the problems of the traditional solutions we have created a concept called the Data Lake to describe an optimal solution. If you think of a datamart as a store of bottled water – cleansed and packaged and structured for easy consumption – the data lake is a large body of water in a more natural state. The contents of the data lake stream in from a source to fill the lake, and various users of the lake can come to examine, dive in, or take samples.
- 2013, Juergen Klenk, Yugal Sharma, Jeni Fan, "Saving Lives with Big Data: Unlocking the Hidden Potential in Electronic Health Records", in 2013, Jay Liebowitz, Big Data and Business Analytics, CRC Press, page 122:
- Perhaps the most transformative aspect of an analytics architecture that incorporates a data lake is that users do not need to have the possible answers in mind when they ask the questions.
- 2013, Soumendra Mohanty, Madhu Jagadeesh, Harsha Srivatsa, Big Data Imperatives: Enterprise ‘Big Data’ Warehouse, ‘BI’ Implementations and Analytics, Apress, page 43:
- The difference between a data lake and a data warehouse is that in a data warehouse, the data is pre-categorized at the point of entry, which can dictate how it’s going to be analyzed.
- 2014, Pethuru Raj, Ganesh Chandra Deka, Handbook of Research on Cloud Infrastructures for Big Data Analytics, IGI Global, page 105:
- The data lake, in turn, supports a two-step process to analyze the data.
- 2014 January 14, Edd Dumbill, "The Data Lake Dream" , Forbes:
- One phrase in particular has become popular for describing the massing of data into Hadoop, the “Data Lake”, and indeed, this term has been adopted by Pivotal for their enterprise big data strategy.
- ^ Dan Woods (2011-07-21) , “Big Data Requires a Big, New Architecture”, in Forbes
- ^ James Dixon (Pentaho, Hadoop, and Data Lakes) James Dixon’s Blog, archived from the original on 2010-10-20:
- If you think of a datamart as a store of bottled water – cleansed and packaged and structured for easy consumption – the data lake is a large body of water in a more natural state. The contents of the data lake stream in from a source to fill the lake, and various users of the lake can come to examine, dive in, or take samples.