Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Crossed; intersected; resembling a letter X.
- (zoology) Having anatomical structures or markings crossing each other, typically in an X shape or at right angles.
- (botany) Having opposite leaves arranged alternately at right angles.
1849, John Craig, “Juniperites”, in A New Universal Etymological, Technological, and Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language, Embracing All the Terms Used in Art, Science, and Literature, volume II (Jac–Zyt), London: Published (for the proprietors,) by Henry George Collins, 22 Paternoster Row, OCLC 3119134, page 15:
- Juniperites, ju-ne-per-i′tis, s[ubstantive]. A genus of fossil plants, in which the branches are ranged irregularly; leaves short, obtuse, inserted by a broad base, opposite, decussate, and arranged in four rows.
- (rhetoric) Consisting of two rising and two falling clauses, placed in alternate opposition to each other.
- a decussated period