Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- All of space beyond the gravitational influence of Earth, or outside the Solar System
– 1937 December, Smith, E. E. "Doc", “Galactic Patrol”, Astounding Science-Fiction, volume 20, number 4, page 73:
- Part of the time he spent in the speedster dashing hither and yon. Most of it, however, he spent in the vastly more comfortable mauler; to the armored side of which his tiny vessel clung with magnetic clamps while he slept and ate, gossiped and read, exercised and played with the mauler's officers and crew, in deep-space comradery.
- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 34
- deep space n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project