- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪˈpɑɹtɪd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈpɑːtɪd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: de‧part‧ed
- simple past tense and past participle of
departed (not comparable)
departed (plural departeds)
- (euphemistic) A dead person or persons.
- 1589, George Puttenham, Edward Arber, editor, The Arte of English Poesie, published 1869, page 63:
- ... and our Theologians, in stead thereof vie to make sermons, both teaching the people some good learning, and also saying well of the departed.
Departed is most commonly used in a religious setting or at a funeral. Deceased is commonly used in legal and journalistic settings.