Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈsɜːn.iŋ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪˈsɝn.iŋ/
- Of keen insight or good judgement; perceptive.
- The discerning customer will appreciate our new range of quality clothing.
- 1682, [Nahum Tate; John Dryden], The Second Part of Absalom and Achitophel. A Poem. […], 2nd edition, London: […] Jacob Tonson, […], OCLC 876856636, page 5:
- Such practices as Theſe, too groſs to lye / Long unobſerv'd by each diſcerning Eye, / The more judicious Iſraelites Unſpell'd, / Though ſtill the Charm the giddy Rabble held, [...]
of keen insight
discerning (plural discernings)
- c. 1603–1606, William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of King Lear”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act I, scene iv]:
- Either his notion weakens, his discernings / Are lethargied