- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪsˈkleɪm.ɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪsˈkleɪm.ə/
- Hyphenation: dis‧claim‧er
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪmə(ɹ)
disclaimer (plural disclaimers)
- One who disclaims, disowns, or renounces.
- A public disavowal, as of responsibility, pretensions, claims, opinions, etc.
- (law) A denial, disavowal, or renunciation, as of a title, claim, interest, estate, or trust; relinquishment or waiver of an interest or estate.
- (proscribed) A disclosure of an interest, relationship, or the like.
- May 10 2012, Anant Rangaswami, “No need for regulation in media – it’s happening by itself”, in Firstpost:
- It interviewed, among others, the director of Vasant Valley School, owned by the same family that part-owns Mail Today. No disclaimer was carried stating as much.
- April 23 2018, Hallie Detrick, “What We Know About Sean Hannity's Shell Companies and Why It Matters”, in Fortune:
- Though the fact that the two men do business together was disclosed on air, a recent op-ed penned by Lako and published on the Hannity show’s website had no such disclaimer.
- The use in the sense of a disclosure rather than a disavowal is a recent extension in meaning that may be considered incorrect usage.
- (transitive, informal) To disclaim or disavow, as by appending a legal disclaimer.
- 2005, Raven Kaldera, Pagan Polyamory: Becoming a Tribe of Hearts, page 229:
- When you can hear your lover say that painful thing straight up, without a lot of disclaimering or softening to make sure that your feelings will be hurt as little as possible, […]
- 2015, Evan Butler, Guardians of Life, page 45:
- Now that I have disclaimered myself, I can tell you the story of how one of the guards smoked Salvia divinorum and tripped balls for fifteen minutes […]
- disclaimer at OneLook Dictionary Search
- Alternative form of
This verb conjugates as a first-group verb ending in -er. The forms that would normally end in *-ms, *-mt are modified to ns, nt. Old French conjugation varies significantly by date and by region. The following conjugation should be treated as a guide.
|gerund||en disclaimant||Use the gerund of avoir followed by the past participle|
|imperfect||disclaimoie, disclaimeie, disclaimoe, disclaimeve||disclaimoies, disclaimeies, disclaimoes, disclaimeves||disclaimoit, disclaimeit, disclaimot, disclaimeve||disclaimiiens, disclaimiens||disclaimiiez, disclaimiez||disclaimoient, disclaimeient, disclaimoent, disclaimevent|
|future||disclaimerai||disclaimeras||disclaimera||disclaimerons||disclaimeroiz, disclaimereiz, disclaimerez||disclaimeront|
|conditional||disclaimeroie, disclaimereie||disclaimeroies, disclaimereies||disclaimeroit, disclaimereit||disclaimeriiens, disclaimeriens||disclaimeriiez, disclaimeriez||disclaimeroient, disclaimereient|
|present perfect||Use the present tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|past anterior||Use the preterite tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|future perfect||Use the future tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|conditional perfect||Use the conditional tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|subjunctive||que jo||que tu||qu’il||que nos||que vos||qu’il|
|imperfect||disclaimasse||disclaimasses||disclaimast||disclaimissons, disclaimissiens||disclaimissoiz, disclaimissez, disclaimissiez||disclaimassent|
|past||Use the present subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|