Jump to navigation Jump to search
The normal superlative of old is oldest. The irregular form eldest is sometimes used with family members, but it is otherwise rare.
greatest in age or seniority
eldest (not comparable)
- (card games) (of a player) Receiving cards from the dealer first, before any other players.
- (card games) (of a hand) Having higher, or superior cards.
- 2003, The Card Game Set, Thunder Bay Press:
- Each player draws a card, and the lowest becomes eldest hand.
eldest (plural eldests)
- The eldest child in a family, or individual in a group.