Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (CA) (file)
- (transitive) To lure; to attract by arousing desire or hope.
2012 March 1, Brian Hayes, “Pixels or Perish”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 106:
- Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs, MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story. And, on top of all that, they are ornaments; they entice and intrigue and sometimes delight.
- I enticed the little bear into the trap with a pot of honey.
to lure; to attract by arousing desire or hope
- entice in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- entice in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913