Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /l(j)ʊə/, /lɔː(r)/, lɜː
- (US) IPA(key): /lʊər/, /lɔr/, /lɝ/
- Homophone: lore (some accents)
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʊə(r)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)
lure (plural lures)
- Something that tempts or attracts, especially one with a promise of reward or pleasure.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Milton to this entry?)
- (fishing) An artificial bait attached to a fishing line to attract fish.
- A bunch of feathers attached to a line, used in falconry to recall the hawk.
- A velvet smoothing brush.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Knight to this entry?)
tempting or attractive object
artificial fishing bait
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- definite singular of
- plural form of
- lure (bunch of feathers attached to a line, used in falconry to recall the hawk)
- English: lure