Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English fischynge, equivalent to fish + -ing.
fishing (countable and uncountable, plural fishings)
- (uncountable) The act of catching fish.
- We had a good day's fishing at the weekend.
- 1922, Michael Arlen, “3/19/2”, in “Piracy”: A Romantic Chronicle of These Days:
- Ivor had acquired more than a mile of fishing rights with the house ; he was not at all a good fisherman, but one must do something ; one generally, however, banged a ball with a squash-racket against a wall.
- (uncountable, informal) The act of catching other forms of seafood, separately or together with fish.
- (uncountable) Commercial fishing: the business or industry of catching fish and other seafood for sale.
- This is good news for the fishing industry.
- (countable) A fishery, a place for catching fish.
- 1596 (date written; published 1633), Edmund Spenser, A Vewe of the Present State of Irelande […], Dublin: […] Societie of Stationers, […], →OCLC; republished as A View of the State of Ireland […] (Ancient Irish Histories), Dublin: […] Society of Stationers, […] Hibernia Press, […] [b]y John Morrison, 1809, →OCLC:
- the rent of the fishings
- 1917, The Scots Law Times (volume 2, page 190)
- Generally speaking, the only fishings which appear separately in Valuation Rolls as having a lettable value in their actual state from year to year are salmon-fishings.
- (act): piscatology, piscation, piscicide (pejorative), piscicapture, the gentle craft
- (business): fishery, the fish industry, the seafood industry
- (sport): sportfishing
- (place): See fishery
act or sport of catching fish
business of catching fish
place for catching fish
- (adj): See fishing
- (adv): halieutically
- (science): halieutics, piscatology
- (writing on fishing): halieutics, piscatory
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ɪʃɪŋ/2 syllables
- English terms with homophones
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms suffixed with -ing
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- English informal terms
- English non-lemma forms
- English verb forms
- English verbal nouns