Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪlt
stilt (plural stilts)
- Either of two poles with footrests that allow someone to stand or walk above the ground; used mostly by entertainers.
- A tall pillar or post used to support some structure; often above water.
- Any of various wading birds of the genera Himantopus and Cladorhynchus, related to the avocet, that have extremely long legs and long thin bills.
- A crutch.
- The handle of a plough.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Halliwell to this entry?)
crutch — see crutch
- to raise on stilts, or as if on stilts
- stillet (Etymology 3)
- past participle of