Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
esoterism (plural esoterisms)
- The inward forms of faith and religion; transcendence, mystic experience, and internal realizations of the Divine.
- Being esoteric.
- 1937. Edwin Robert Anderson Seligman, Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences, page 622,
- In the case of modern fraternal societies, with their trappings of esoterism, the ceremonial becomes the chief function of the organization...
- 1958. Sidney David Braun, Dictionary of French Literature, Philosophical Library, page 331,
- By 1896 Symbolism had dissolved into a multitude of little chapels calling themselves Paroxysm, Esoterism, Naturism...
- 2005. Guenon, Rene Guenon, Henry D. Fohr, Cecil Bethell, Michael Allen, Studies in Freemasonry and the Compagnonnage, page 37
- It should not be forgotten that just as there is an Islamic esoterism, so also at the time was there a Catholic esoterism also, by which we mean an esoterism taking as its basis and support the symbols and rites of the Catholic religion.
inward forms of faith and religion
- Esoterism, in
Dictionary of Mysticism, by Frank Gaynor, 1973, page 58.
- esoterism, in New Encyclopedia of Islam.