Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural of
- (law, historical) An estover, an allowance made from an estate for a person's support.
- (law, historical) An allowance or alimony granted to a divorced woman, taken from the husband's estate for her support.
- (law, historical) An allowance of wood made to a tenant.
- (law, historical) The freedom of a tenant to take necessary wood from the land occupied by that tenant.
- It seemed to have been generally understood that the lord could not approve, where the commoners had a right of turbary, piscary, of digging sand, or of taking any species of estovers upon the common.