- plural of
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of ex
- (costermongers) The number six.
- 1851, Mayhew, Henry, “Gambling of Costermongers”, in London Labour and the London Poor, volume 1, page 17:
- The betting also began to shift. "Sixpence Ned wins!" cried three or four; "Sixpence he loses!" answered another; "Done!" and up went the halfpence. "Half-a-crown Joe loses!"—"Here you are," answered Joe, but he lost again. "I'll try you a 'gen'" (shilling) said a coster; "And a rouf yenap'" (fourpence), added the other. "Say a 'exes'" (sixpence).—"Done!" and the betting continued, till the ground was spotted with silver and halfpence.
- (gambling) Odds of six to one.