Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (archaic) Pre-eminent, outstanding.
- 1850, "The Hercules Cheap Paletot", Punch, v. 18, p. 38:
- You've read the death of Hercules,
- In classic tale related;
- But there the facts of his decease
- Erroneously are stated:
- Each schoolboy will at large recite
- Fast as his Alphabeta,
- How that eximious man of might
- Departed on Mount Eta.
- 2002 A.S. Byatt, A Whistling Woman, Vintage International 2004, p.115:
- Eximious is a delicious word, meaning, outstanding.