Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
audio (US) (file)
- prominent or noticeable; standing out from others
- exceptionally good; distinguished from others by its superiority
1978, Arthur Burks, The New Elements of Mathematics:
- Charles S. Peirce, 1839 to 1914, was one of America's most outstanding intellects. Philosopher, mathematician, and scientist, he wrote profusely, the equivalent of almost 100,000 printed pages in all.
2011 October 29, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 3 - 5 Arsenal”, in BBC Sport:
- The Gunners captain demonstrated his importance to the team by taking his tally to an outstanding 28 goals in 27 Premier League games as Chelsea slumped again after their shock defeat at QPR last week.
- projecting outwards
1915, John Muir, Travels in Alaska:
- At a distance of about seven or eight miles to the northeastward of the landing, there is an outstanding group of mountains crowning a spur from the main chain of the Coast Range, whose highest point rises about eight thousand feet above the level of the sea;...
- unresolved; not settled or finished
- owed as a debt
1923, Treaty of Lausanne:
- The distribution of the capital shall in the case of each loan be based on the capital amount outstanding at the date of the coming into force of the present Treaty.
- (distinguished from others by its superiority): mediocre
standing out from others
distinguished from others by its superiority
not settled or finished
owed as a debt
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked