Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɛk.stɹəˌtɛ.ɹɪˌtɔː.ɹɪˈæl.ɪ.ti/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌɛk.stɹəˌtɛ.ɹɪˌtɔ.ɹiˈæl.ɪ.ɾi/
- Rhymes: -ælɪti
extraterritoriality (usually uncountable, plural extraterritorialities)
- (law, uncountable) Immunity from the local laws of a certain area, especially due to diplomatic negotiation.
- 1993, Phillip I. Blumberg, The Multinational Challenge to Corporation Law: The Search for a New Corporate Personality, Oxford University Press, →ISBN, page 187:
- Although both home country and host country extraterritoriality involve the extension of national law over foreign corporations, the two differ sharply in the nature of application.
- (countable) A territory or space that is under the power of a certain area but not defined by its norms.
immunity from the local laws of a certain area