Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The shape consisting of two circles or ovals joined together at one point, resembling the numeral 8.
- A maneuver in which one rides, skates, or otherwise traces a path that forms a figure eight.
- 2018 February, Robert Draper, “They are Watching You—and Everything Else on the Planet: Technology and Our Increasing Demand for Security have Put Us All under Surveillance. Is Privacy Becoming just a Memory?”, in National Geographic, Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, →ISSN, →OCLC, archived from the original on 14 June 2018:
- The bikers pop wheelies and execute speedy figure eights along the busy street. Still, something more purposeful than joyriding would seem to be on their minds.
- A variety of puffer fish (Tetraodontidae).
figure eight — see figure of eight
- Alternative form of
- 1916, Poultney Bigelow, James Henry Worman, Albert Britt, Outing - Volume 68, page 492:
- The four and a half ounce rod doubled and dipped and figure eighted while the line literally smoked.
- 1980, United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, Omnibus Territorial Legislation--1980: Hearing Before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, United States Senate, Ninety-sixth Congress:
- The giant drifter is stowed in the foc'sl in the rolled condition, being figure eighted against the side of the bow on hooks.
- 1983, Surgery Operative Practice Manual: VM COLL 620 1983-1984, page 90:
- An orthopedic wire is figure eighted around the Kirschner wire and pulled tight.
- 1997, Craven Kurz, Contemporary Lingual Orthodontics, page 83:
- The six anterior teeth are "figure eighted" together as well and retraced "en masse."