Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: fire ship
Audio (AU) (file)
fireship (plural fireships)
- (nautical) A sailing ship that has been set alight and left to drift into an opposing fleet. Famously used by Englishman Sir Francis Drake when fighting the Spanish Armada of 1588.
- 1984, Rodzinksi, Witold, The Walled Kingdom: A History of China from 2000 BC to the Present, London: Fontana Paperbacks, →ISBN, →OCLC, →OL, page 69:
- His attempt in 208 to cross the Yangtse was frustrated in the famous battle of Ch'ih-pi, in which his immense fleet was destroyed by his enemies' fireships, and most of his army slain.
- (vulgar, slang) A diseased prostitute.
- Depraved and Insulting English – Peter Novobatsky & Ammon Shea →ISBN