friend with benefits
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (idiomatic, slang, non-vulgar) A friend with whom one has a casual sexual relationship.
- 2003, Alexander Hart, Time in Question:
- “I’m just saying that usually when you have a friend who’s a girl, it’s not just that she’s your friend. Either you’ve known her a long time, or she’s a friend with benefits.”
- 2003, William Marsiglio, “Making Males Mindful of Their Sexual and Procreative Identities: Using Self-Narratives in Field Settings”, in Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, volume 35, number 5:
- Gender norms influence how young men orient themselves to sexual partners and girlfriends, and men’s procreative consciousness is sometimes affected by how they define a potential or actual sex partner (e.g., casual or serious girlfriend, “friend with benefits”, hookup).
- 2004, Cynthia Henry, Discovering Normal:
- “Can I be so bold as to ask if I can be a friend with benefits?”
- 2005, Jennifer Klein, University of Pennsylvania:
- The College Relationship is the hook up that turns into a “a person to hang out with,” more or less, a friend with benefits. This is a person whose company you sincerely enjoy, and you choose to spend extra time both hanging out and hooking up with, but there is no spoken commitment involved.
friend with whom one has a casual sexual relationship