friend with benefits
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, slang, non-vulgar) A friend with whom one has a casual sexual relationship.
2003, Alexander Hart, Time in Question:
- “I’m just saying that usually when you have a friend who’s a girl, it’s not just that she’s your friend. Either you’ve known her a long time, or she’s a friend with benefits.”
2003, William Marsiglio, “Making Males Mindful of Their Sexual and Procreative Identities: Using Self-Narratives in Field Settings”, in Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, volume 35, number 5:
- Gender norms influence how young men orient themselves to sexual partners and girlfriends, and men’s procreative consciousness is sometimes affected by how they define a potential or actual sex partner (e.g., casual or serious girlfriend, “friend with benefits”, hookup).
2004, Cynthia Henry, Discovering Normal:
- “Can I be so bold as to ask if I can be a friend with benefits?”
2005, Jennifer Klein, University of Pennsylvania:
- The College Relationship is the hook up that turns into a “a person to hang out with,” more or less, a friend with benefits. This is a person whose company you sincerely enjoy, and you choose to spend extra time both hanging out and hooking up with, but there is no spoken commitment involved.
- See also Wikisaurus:casual sexual partner.
friend with whom one has a casual sexual relationship