12 is a slang term for police or any law enforcement officials. It came from the police radio code “10-12” and the 1968 TV show Adam-12, which followed two police officers Pete Malloy and Jim Reed, from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) patrolling the Los Angeles streets in their patrol car, 1-Adam-12.
- (slang, vulgar, derogatory) Fuck the police, an anti-police slogan protesting police behaviour.
- 2014 August, Ray Downs, “Ferguson Protesters Defy State of Emergency Curfew and Fight Tear Gas”, in Riverfront Times:
- Vehicles with the words "Fuck 12" painted on the sides and windows drove down West Florissant Avenue, honking in support of protesters on the street as others would chant the straight-to-the-point slogan.
- 2020 May 7, Tyler Fenwick, “'We're just trying to get answers': Fatal IMPD shooting captured on Facebook Live”, in Indianapolis Recorder:
- Kwame Shakur, deputy chairman of the New African Black Panther Party, showed up with a megaphone and led the protesters in chants of "All power to the people" and "Fuck 12."