Jump to navigation Jump to search
fuckup (plural fuckups)
- (vulgar) A serious mistake.
- Forgetting our anniversary was a major fuckup.
- 1963, President John F. Kennedy and General Godfrey McHugh, Listening In: JFK's Secret Tapes, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, 1:02:40 from the start:
That Air Force has caused itself more grief with that silly bastard- did you see the Post this morning?
Yes, sir I'm looking at it.
Did you see that fellow's picture by the bed?
And did you see that furniture they bought from Jordan Marsh? What the hell did they let the reporters in there for? Are they crazy up there? Now you know what's going to do- any congressman's going to get up and say, "Christ, if they can throw five thousand dollars away on this, let's cut 'em another billion dollars." You just sank the Air Force budget! You're crazy up there- are they crazy? That silly bastard with his picture next to the bed?
Sir, I'm appalled, but uhh...
Well, I'm appalled, too.
Now, the thing is, the thing of the matter is, I'm going to get that furniture, I've just told Sylvester, you can talk to him, I want to find out if we've paid for that furniture because I want it to go back to Jordan Marsh's.
Then I want, that fellow's incompetent who had his picture taken next to Mrs. Kennedy's bed if that's what it is. I mean, he's a silly bastard! I wouldn't have him running a cathouse! And that Colonel Carlson, who let in Larry Newman and those reporters, is he crazy too? Christ, they're not all incompetents? Is that the way they are throwing around money over there? You better look into it, and especially when you told me they hadn't spent a cent!
Why, sir this is obviously...
Well this is obviously a fuckup!
Ok. That's right. You're right.
- (vulgar, derogatory) One who continually makes mistakes.
- (vulgar, derogatory) An ineffective person.
- Don't mind me, I'm just a harmless fuckup.
- 2014, John Oliver, “Dr. Oz and Nutritional Supplements”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 1, episode 8, written by Tim Carvell; Josh Gondelman; Dan Gurewitch; Jeff Maurer; Ben Silva; Will Tracy; Jill Twiss; Seena Vali; Julie Weiner, HBO, Warner Bros. Television:
- Yeah, because unfortunately for them, the judge found them guilty not just of that, but the much larger crime of not being a member of the royal family there. And sure, yeah, that’s just one rogue family member, but that’s the key drawback of inherited power. Having a monarchy means the fate of your country is basically a genetic lottery, because every family has the one fuckup they talk about behind their backs. And if you’re thinking, “my family doesn’t,” then I’m afraid it’s you. I’m sorry about that.
person making mistakes