From gate (“passageway in an airport for embarking passengers”) + rape, formed to rhyme with date rape.
gate rape (plural gate rapes)
- (informal, derogatory) Aggressive security screening prior to aircraft boarding.
2010 December 3, Conte, Kim, “Most Humiliating TSA Pat-Downs of the Week”, in The Stir:
- Now, some women's advocates are referring to the situation as "Gate Rape" and speaking out against incidents like these so that other women don't have to endure the same humiliation.
2011 April 20, Dowd, Maureen, “Stripped of Dignity”, in The New York Times, page A23:
- Ever since the Thanksgiving rebellion over intrusive new pat-downs that some have dubbed “gate-rape,” Americans have been debating security requirements versus privacy rights.
gate rape (third-person singular simple present gate rapes, present participle gate raping, simple past and past participle gate raped)
- (informal, derogatory, of airport security staff) To screen (someone) aggressively prior to allowing them to board an aircraft.
2011 January 7, Akers, Becky, “How to Save Million$ Reading TNA's Website!”, in The New American:
- And yet for all its tyranny, Israel doesn’t gate-rape passengers as does America's TSA.
2012 November 18, Mike Henry as Cleveland Brown, “A General Thanksgiving Episode”, in The Cleveland Show, season 4, episode 3, written by Courtney Lilly:
- We need to open a bar at that airport. People need a stiff drink after being gate raped by the TSA.