Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (archaic) A large non-human primate, such as a gorilla, an orangutan, or a chimpanzee. [to late 19C]
- Any member of the taxonomic family Hominidae, including gorilla, orangutan, chimpanzee, excluding Homo.
- 2005, Richard Dawkins, The Ancestor's Tale, page 114:
- Long before people thought in terms of evolution […] great apes were often confused with humans.
- Any member of the taxonomic family Hominidae, including Homo, and also many similar extinct species.
- 2014, Laurel Braitman, Animal Madness: How Anxious Dogs, Compulsive Parrots, and Elephants in Recovery Help Us Understand Ourselves:
- This wrinkled layer of gray matter that's highly developed in humans and other great apes, as well as whales, dolphins, and elephants, helps coordinate complex cognitive processes.
- Synonym: hominid
ape of the taxonomic family Hominidae
- See also Thesaurus:great ape
- great ape at OneLook Dictionary Search