- A successful brand name or trademark that has come to refer to the generic class of objects rather than the specific brand type.
- Synonym: proprietary eponym
In the legal system of the European Union, the requirement in question is under the Art. 58 I (b) of the Regulation (EU) 2017/1001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 June 2017 on the European Union trade mark that “in consequence of acts or inactivity of the proprietor, the trade mark has become the common name in the trade for a product or service in respect of which it is registered.” So terms to imply that legal requirement being fulfilled may be generic name, generic term, “generic expression ”, “common trade name”, “generic designation”, common term or common name opposed to trade name. Thus the term genericized trademark is not used but one has rather circumlocutions that the trademark “has become a generic name” etc.
- genericized trademark at OneLook Dictionary Search
- genericized trademark on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- List of former trademarks that have been genericized on Wikipedia.Wikipedia