- 1 English
- 2 Czech
- 3 Danish
- 4 Finnish
- 5 Japanese
- 6 Serbo-Croatian
- 7 Swedish
Since the 1890s, from German Heroin, originally a trademark said to derive from Ancient Greek ἥρως (hḗrōs, “hero”) (due to the feelings of power and exaltation while under the influence of the drug) and the suffix -in (“-ine”). Alternatively explained as reference to the heroic school of medicine.
- A powerful and addictive drug derived from opium producing intense euphoria classed as an illegal narcotic in most of the world. [from late 19th century]
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:heroin
- 1967, Lou Reed (music), “Heroin”, in The Velvet Underground & Nico, performed by The Velvet Underground:
- Wow, that heroin is in my blood / And the blood is in my head / Yeah, thank God that I'm good as dead / Ooohhh, thank your God that I'm not aware / And thank God that I just don't care / And I guess I just don't know
- 2009: Stuart Heritage, Hecklerspray, Friday the 22nd of May in 2009 at 1 o’clock p.m., “Jon & Kate Latest: People You Don’t Know Do Crap You Don’t Care About”
- The reason why Jon & Kate Plus 8 is such a hot topic is because it might all be a sham. It’s been claimed that Jon has a string of mistresses, that Kate had an affair with her bodyguard and that Baby Number Six is actually a shaved Ewok with a catastrophic heroin addiction. Or something.
- 2016, John Oliver, “Opiods”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 3, episode 27, written by Tim Carvell; Josh Gondelman; Dan Gurewitch; Jeff Maurer; Ben Silva; Will Tracy; Jill Twiss; Seena Vali; Julie Weiner, HBO, Warner Bros. Television:
- Yeah, it does, though, it does. Heroin works basically everywhere because it’s heroin. It’s not a cellphone. Heroin has full coverage.
- 2017, John Oliver, “Confederacy”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 4, episode 26, written by Tim Carvell; Josh Gondelman; Dan Gurewitch; Jeff Maurer; Ben Silva; Will Tracy; Jill Twiss; Seena Vali; Julie Weiner, HBO, Warner Bros. Television:
- Okay, wel-, I’ll tell you where it stops: somewhere! Anytime someone asks, “Where does it stop?”, the answer is always fucking somewhere! You might let your kid have Twizzlers, but not inject black tar heroin! You d-You don’t just go, “Well, after the Twizzlers, where does it stop?”!
- (chemical names): diacetylmorphine, diamorphine
- (street names): Big H, boy, brown, dope, junk, H, horse, Ron, shit, skag, smack, train, yam yam
- heroin in Kartotéka Novočeského lexikálního archivu
- heroin in Slovník spisovného jazyka českého, 1960–1971, 1989
- Rhymes: -in
- Rhymes: -eroin
- Instructive plural form of hera.
- Rōmaji transcription of
heròīn m (Cyrillic spelling херо̀ӣн)
|Declension of heroin|