Jump to navigation Jump to search
Deliberate misspelling of get good; see get (“to become”).
- Rhymes: -ʊd
- (Internet slang, derogatory) To improve; to develop skill or expertise, with the implication that the addressee doesn't possess them.
- 2017, Zek Valkyrie, Game Worlds Get Real: How Who We Are Online Became Who We Are Offline:
- They are also often cast as elitist scum who treat the larger gaming population with disdain, telling them to “git gud,” which is akin to a “put up or shut up” mentality; that is, “real” gamers overcome content through hard work and skill.
- 2019, Tee Morris, Twitch For Dummies, page 278:
- […] showing off what he knows but more about helping out a streamer and a friend who is looking to “git gud” at this whole Twitch thing. He embodies all the best qualities of Twitch; […]
- Generally used in the imperative as response to request for help or advice, especially in video games. The intentionally oblique and unhelpful response is meant to antagonize and insult the subject.