Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (archaic or poetic) gloomy
- 1895, M.P. Shiel, Prince Zaleski:
- Long, I tell you, long and often, have I pondered on that history, and sought to trace with what ghastly secret has been pregnant the destiny, gloomful as Erebus and the murk of black-peplosed Nux, which for centuries has hung its pall over the men of this ill-fated house.
- 1922, Samuel Hopkins Adams, From a Bench in Our Square:
- Dyke, having expressed a preference for the tomb as a place of residence, went on his gloomful way shedding green paint on one side and red on the other.