Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Chinese society) Connections; relationships; one's social or business network.
- Synonym: (from Russian) blat
- To open a new business in China you need guanxi.
- 1996, James O'Reilly, Sean O'Reilly, Larry Habegger (editors), Travellers' Tales - Hong Kong 
- Who would dare to drive around in a [right-hand drive] car that was so obviously stolen and smuggled into the country? The police, of course! And Communisty Party officials. And those with guanxi with the police.
- 1998, Stuart Cohen, Invisible World:
- By chance he'd happened to be in Hong Kong when Clayton had died, and his guanxi had smoothed out the paperwork that could have delayed things for weeks.
- 2000, Yadong Luo, Strategy, Structure, and Performance of MNCs in China:
- It should be noted that the existence of a basis for guanxi does not imply that such an alliance will develop.
- 2005, China-Britain Business Council
- Many foreigners claim to have guanxi with their Chinese counterparts; few actually do.