Jump to navigation Jump to search
gumshoe (plural gumshoes)
- A sneaker or rubber overshoe. [from mid 19th c.]
- (slang, Canada, US) A detective. [from early 20th c.]
- 1920, William MacLeod Raine, chapter 20, in The Big-Town Round-Up:
- "Who's this gumshoe guy from the bush league tailin' us?"
sneaker or rubber overshoe
slang: a detective
- (slang) To act as a detective.
- 1933, United States. Congress. House. Committee on Agriculture, Hearings, page 25:
- The next thing they did was to send a man sent down there from Baltimore and he spent a good deal of time gumshoeing around in that county trying to get another individual put in as secretary-treasurer.
- 1988 September 23, Achy Obejas, “Calendar”, in Chicago Reader:
- " But these days, more and more women are gumshoeing through the pages of murder mysteries.