From Old Norse hǫnd, from Proto-Germanic *handuz.
- (nonstandard, colloquial, sports) hendi
hönd f (genitive singular handar, nominative plural hendur)
- (anatomy) hand syn.
- Mér er illt í hendinni.
- My hand hurts.
- side, hand syn.
- Og ykkur á hægri hönd sjáið þið Esjuna.
- And on your right hand you can see the Esja.
- hand, handwriting (someone's personal style of writing)
- The dative form hönd is used in the sense of “handwriting”.
- The plural form höndur is mostly obsolete.
- The alternative form hendi is sometimes used for nominative and accusative singular in non-standard colloquial speech; especially regarding sports.