Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: handi-craftsman
handicraftsman (plural handicraftsmen)
- A practitioner of a handicraft, usually male.
- I know, that a handicraftsman [transl. artisan] will scarcely looke off his worke, to gaze upon an ordinary man: Whereas to see a notable great person come into a towne, he will leave both worke and shop.
1742, Samuel Johnson, The Works of Samuel Johnson, Vol.6:
- He may, among the drunkards, be a hearty fellow, and, among sober handicraftsmen, a free-spoken gentleman; but he must have some better distinction, before he is a patriot.
1878, James Inglis, Sport and Work on the Nepaul Frontier:
- Like all native handicraftsmen he sits down at his work.
1903, Philip P. Wells, Bible Stories and Religious Classics:
- I know that a good honest handicraftsman, Erik, the glove-maker, has been your suitor; he is a widower without children, he is well off; think whether you cannot be content with him.