Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) A journalistic or other treatment which portrays its subject in a very unfavorable manner; a work of criticism which aims to destroy a reputation.
- Many Republicans say that the book State of Denial by Bob Woodward is nothing more than an election year hatchet job.
- (idiomatic) An action or a program which imposes deep reductions in expenditure.
- This so-called reform of our wage agreement was really just one big hatchet job!
- (very unfavorable treatment): slam piece, hit piece, traducement, calumny, calumniation, obloquy, defamation