Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (uncountable) The rule of an alien; rule from without; government by an extraterritorial power.
- Despite installing puppet governments in the marches, the subjects of the empire’s conquered territories were still very conscious of living under heterarchy.
- (countable) An example of this government.
- The proposed liberation of our largely undeveloped economy goes too far — the resulting foreign dominance of our markets would make us a heterarchy.
- A system of organization where the elements of the organization are unranked (non-hierarchical) or where they possess the potential to be ranked a number of different ways.
- “†ˈheterarchy” defined as a derived term of the prefix “hetero-”, listed in the Oxford English Dictionary [2nd Ed.; 1989]
- ^ Crumley, Carole L. (January 1995). "Heterarchy and the Analysis of Complex Societies" (PDF). Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association 6 (1): 1–5. doi:10.1525/ap3a.19220.127.116.11. Retrieved 26 February 2014.