- (manner) In a horrible way; very badly.
- The beginning art students displayed their horribly executed paintings with hopeful faces.
- (degree, often modifying a negative adverb or adjective) To an extreme degree or extent.
- Then everything went horribly wrong.
- The man was horribly nice, yet she still wouldn't marry him.
- (evaluative) With a very bad effect.
- Horribly, as he was dying, his eyes reddened.
- Adjectives to which "horribly" is often applied: wrong, afraid, bad, pleased, expensive, painful, slow, sick, cold, sad, difficult, cruel, fond, long, ill, awry, funny, familiar, depressed, ashamed, dirty, true, hot, confused, hard, tired.
- (all senses): dreadfully, frightfully, grisly (obsolete), horrifyingly, terribly, terrifyingly
- (very; to an extreme degree or extent): very, terribly, awfully
in a horrible way