Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈɔːfʊli/, /ˈɔːfəli/, /ˈɔːfli/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɔfəli/
- (cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈɑfəli/
- Badly, terribly.
- She led after the swiming and cycling, but ran awfully and came in fourth.
- (not comparable) Very; exceedingly; extremely; excessively.
- (archaic) In a manner inspiring awe.
- (archaic) Reverently.
- (obsolete) Fearfully.
- Adjectives to which "awfully" is often applied: good, hard, sad, nice, sorry, long, quiet, big, glad, familiar, well, difficult, tired, bad, hot, high, busy, pretty, small, cold, funny, expensive, fond, important, young, interesting, jolly, short, proud, clever, boring, strange, happy, lonely, stupid, strong, sick, pleased, old, hungry, afraid, silly.
in an awe-inspiring manner
fearfully — see fearfully
reverently — see reverently
badly — see badly
very — see very