Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- simple past tense and past participle of
- Compounding the word looked wrong, so I hyphenated it instead.
- Written with a hyphen.
- Some dictionaries list hyphenated words as though they contained no punctuation.
- Of a person, considered to have more than one nationality or ethnicity (such as French-Canadian, Afro-Argentine, etc.).
- "[The Community Newspaper] is one of the many symbolic emblems that stand for the other half of the hyphenated American’s identity." Hyphenated Americans Must Look At Their Mirror -- The Community Newspaper -- To Do What Is Right, October 28, 2005.
written with a hyphen