Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɪn.dɪˈfæ.tɪ.ɡə.bəl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌɪn.dəˈfæ.tɪ.ɡə.bəl/, [ˌɪn.dəˈfæ.ɾɪ.ɡə.bəl]
Audio (AU) (file)
- (sometimes proscribed) IPA(key): /ˌɪn.dɪ.fəˈti.ɡə.bəl/, /ˌɪn.də-/
Audio (Northern California, US) (file)
- Hyphenation: in‧de‧fa‧tig‧a‧ble
- Extremely persistent and untiring.
- Synonyms: inexhaustible, relentless, tireless, unflagging, unsinkable, untiring, unwearying
- Antonym: (much less common) defatigable
- 1704, [Jonathan Swift], “Section I. The Introduction.”, in A Tale of a Tub. […], London: […] John Nutt, […], OCLC 752990886, page 33:
- Whoever hath an Ambition to be heard in a Crowd, muſt preſs, and ſqueeze, and thruſt, and climb with indefatigable Pains, till he has exalted himſelf to a certain Degree of Altitude above them.
- 1895–1897, H[erbert] G[eorge] Wells, “Friday Night”, in The War of the Worlds, London: William Heinemann, published 1898, OCLC 699873, book I (The Coming of the Martians), pages 54–55:
- All night long the Martians were hammering and stirring, sleepless, indefatigable, at work upon the machines they were making ready, and ever and again a puff of greenish-white smoke whirled up to the starlit sky.
extremely persistent and untiring