Jump to navigation Jump to search
infralittoral (plural infralittorals)
- The region of shallow water closest to the shore; in marine environments, usually excluding the intertidal zone.
- Situated in the region of shallow water nearest the shore.
- 2004, M.P. Singh, Environment and Pollution, page 159:
- The lowest zone over exposed, and the only at extreme low tides, is called the infralittoral fringe.
- 2004, Susan B. Rothschild, Beachcomber's Guide to Gulf Coast Marine Life: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, page 10:
- Some marine biologists also recognize supralittoral and infralittoral fringes, which are wetted only by extreme high tides or high waves […]