Jump to navigation Jump to search
initialism (plural initialisms)
- (linguistics) A term formed from the initial letters of several words or parts of words, but which is itself pronounced letter by letter.
- BBC is an initialism for British Broadcasting Corporation.
- (linguistics) The process of forming words or terms using initial letters of other words.
- 2015, James Lambert, “Lexicography as a teaching tool: A Hong Kong case study”, in Lan Li, Jamie McKeown and Liming Liu, editors, Dictionaries and corpora: Innovations in reference science. Proceedings of ASIALEX 2015 Hong Kong, Hong Kong: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, page 146:
- The next most frequent source language was English, with neologistic compounds accounting for 15 etymologies, with 9 other English-based terms from a variety of word formation processes such as initialism and semantic extension.
term pronounced letter by letter