Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Integrity of character; resoluteness of will; mental resistance to doubt or discouragement.
- 1871 July – 1873 February, Anthony Trollope, “Mr. Dove in His Chambers”, in The Eustace Diamonds. A Novel, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, publishers, […], published 1872, OCLC 1332510, page 126, column 2:
- In any trouble, such as was this about the necklace, there would come over his face a look of weakness which betrayed the want of real inner strength.
- 1919 October, John Galsworthy, chapter I, in Saint’s Progress, London: William Heinemann, published December 1919, OCLC 731506428, part III, 1 §, page 217:
- To do as your aunt and uncle in their kindness wish, would, I am sore afraid, end in depriving you of the inner strength and happiness which God only gives to those who do their duty and try courageously to repair their errors.
- 2008 Aug. 28, Michael Kinsley, "Everybody Knows the Trouble I've Seen," Time:
- First, it says the candidate has the inner strength or the wisdom or whatever it takes to address the unpredictable challenges he or she will face if elected.
- inner strength at OneLook Dictionary Search