Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɪnsjʊˈleɪʃən/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɪnsəˈleɪʃən/
Audio (UK) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of insulating, or the state of being insulated; detachment from other objects; isolation.
2013 March 1, Nancy Langston, “Mining the Boreal North”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 2, page 98:
- Reindeer are well suited to the taiga’s frigid winters. They can maintain a thermogradient between body core and the environment of up to 100 degrees, in part because of insulation provided by their fur, and in part because of counter-current vascular heat exchange systems in their legs and nasal passages.
- Any of a variety of materials designed to reduce the flow of heat, either from or into a building.
- (engineering) The act of separating a body from others by nonconductors, so as to prevent the transfer of electricity, heat, or sound
- (engineering) The state of a body so separated.
- (electrical) a medium in which it is possible to maintain an electrical field with little supply of energy from additional sources.
The act of insulating
The act of separating a body from others
a medium in which it is possible to maintain an electrical field with little supply of energy from additional sources
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.