Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To set apart or cut off from others.
- (transitive) To place in quarantine or isolation.
- (transitive, chemistry) To separate a substance in pure form from a mixture.
- (transitive) To insulate, or make free of external influence.
- (transitive, microbiology) To separate a pure strain of bacteria etc. from a mixed culture.
- (transitive) To insulate an electrical component from a source of electricity.
transitive: to set apart or cut off from others
transitive: to place in quarantine or isolation
transitive, chemistry: to separate a substance in pure form from a mixture
transitive: to insulate, or make free of external influence
transitive, microbiology: to separate a pure strain of bacteria etc. from a mixed culture
transitive: to insulate an electrical component from a source of electricity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
isolate (plural isolates)
- Something that has been isolated.
something that has been isolated
- isolatable (adjective)
- isolated (adjective)
- isolating (adjective)
- isolation (noun)
- isolationism (noun)
- isolative (adjective)
- isolator (noun)