Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: componënt
component (plural components)
- A smaller, self-contained part of a larger entity. Often refers to a manufactured object that is part of a larger device.
- A CPU is a component of a computer.
2013 September-October, Katie L. Burke, “In the News”, American Scientist:
- Oxygen levels on Earth skyrocketed 2.4 billion years ago, when cyanobacteria evolved photosynthesis: […] . The evolutionary precursor of photosynthesis is still under debate, and a new study sheds light. The critical component of the photosynthetic system is the “water-oxidizing complex”, made up of manganese atoms and a calcium atom.
smaller, self-contained part of larger entity
component (not comparable)
- Making up a larger whole; as a component word.
- Made up of smaller complete units in combination; as a component stereo.
- present participle of compondre
- Hyphenation: com‧po‧nent
component m (plural [please provide]) and n
component m n