Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɛksˈtɝnəl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɛksˈtɜːnəl/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)nəl
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: ex‧ter‧nal
- Outside of something; on the exterior.
- This building has some external pipework.
- Not intrinsic nor essential; accidental; accompanying; superficial.
- Foreign; relating to or connected with foreign nations.
- external trade or commerce; the external relations of a state or kingdom
- (anatomy) Away from the mesial plane of the body; lateral.
- Provided by something or someone outside of the entity (object, group, company etc.) considered.
- (not intrinsic nor essential): See also Thesaurus:extrinsic
outside of something
external (plural externals)
- (chiefly in the plural) The exterior; outward features or appearances.
- (programming) In the C programming language, a variable that is defined in the source code but whose value comes from some external source.