Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Happening by chance, or unexpectedly; taking place not according to the usual course of things; casual; fortuitous
- an accidental visit
- Nonessential; not necessary belonging; incidental
- are accidental to a play
- (music) Foreign to the key signature or a proper harmony.
- (geometry) Being a double point with two distinct tangent planes in 4-dimensional projective space.
- We speak of a thing as accidental when it falls out as by chance, and not in the regular course of things; as, an accidental meeting, an accidental advantage, etc.
- We call a thing incidental when it falls, as it were, into some regular course of things, but is secondary, and forms no essential part thereof; as, an incidental remark, an incidental evil, an incidental benefit.
- We speak of a thing as casual, when it falls out or happens, as it were, by mere chance, without being prearranged or premeditated; as, a casual remark or encounter; a casual observer. An idea of the unimportant is attached to what is casual.
- Fortuitous is applied to what occurs without any known cause, and in opposition to what has been foreseen; as, a fortuitous concourse of atoms.
- We call a thing contingent when it is such that, considered in itself, it may or may not happen, but is dependent for its existence on something else; as, the time of my coming will be contingent on intelligence yet to be received.
happening by chance
accidental (plural accidentals)
- A property which is not essential; a nonessential; anything happening accidentally.
- Fuller — He conceived it just that accidentals ... should sink with the substance of the accusation.
- (painting, plural only) Those fortuitous effects produced by luminous rays falling on certain objects so that some parts stand forth in abnormal brightness and other parts are cast into a deep shadow.
- (music) A sharp, flat, or natural, occurring not at the commencement of a piece of music as the signature, but before a particular note.
a property which is not essential
(in plural, painting)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Rhymes: -aɫ
accidental m, f (masculine and feminine plural accidentals)
accidental mn nom/acc forms
accidental m, f (plural accidentales)
accidental m (plural accidentales)
- (music) accidental