From the Latin secundārius (“of the second class or quality”), from secundus (whence the English second) + -ārius (whence the English suffix -ary); compare the French secondaire, the Italian secondario, the Occitan secundari, the Portuguese secundario, and the Spanish secundario.
- Next in order to the first or primary; of second place in origin, rank, etc.
- Originating from a deputy or delegated person or body
the work of secondary hands
- (organic chemistry) Derived from a parent compound by replacement of two atoms of hydrogen by organic radicals
- (geology) produced by alteration or deposition subsequent to the formation of the original rocks mass
- (geology) developed by pressure or other causes.
- (anatomy) Pertaining to the second joint of the wing of a bird.
- (medicine) Dependent or consequent upon another disease, or occurring in the second stage of a disease.
- Bright's disease is often secondary to scarlet fever.
- the secondary symptoms of syphilis
- Of less than primary importance.
a secondary issue
1992, Deborah Bernstein, Pioneers and Homemakers: Jewish Women in Pre-state Israel, page 227:
- the problem of sexual equality became even more secondary than before in the eyes of the kibbutz and of its women members.
- (education) related to secondary education, i.e. schooling between the ages of 11 and 18
- (manufacturing) relating to the manufacture of goods from raw materials.
- (of a color) Formed by mixing primary colors.
- Yellow is a secondary light color, though a primary CMYK color.
secondary (plural secondaries)
- (ornithology) Any flight feather attached to the ulna (forearm) of a bird.
- (finance) An act of issuing more stock by an already publicly traded corporation.
- (American football, Canadian football) The defensive backs.
- (electronics) An inductive coil or loop that is magnetically powered by a primary in a transformer or similar
- One who occupies a subordinate or auxiliary place; a delegate deputy.
- the secondary, or undersheriff, of the city of London
- Old Escalus […] is thy secondary.
- (astronomy) A secondary circle.
- (astronomy) A satellite.
- Used as an abbreviation to refer to items with names containing secondary.