Jump to navigation Jump to search
couplet (plural couplets)
- (literature) A pair of lines, typically with rhyming end words.
- A pair of one-way streets which carry opposing directions of traffic through gridded urban areas.
- 5th Street is one-way west only and 6th Street is one-way east only. Together, they form a couplet in Downtown Los Angeles.
- Synonym: one-way pair
- (taxonomy) A pair of two mutually exclusive choices in a dichotomous key.
- 2001, Stephen T. Ross, The Inland Fishes of Mississippi, page 33:
- The dichotomous keys are constructed so that each couplet presents a set of alternative choices.
- 2004, Shin'ichiro Ishikawa, An Exploration of a New Poetic Expression Beyond Dichotomy:
- As long as the correct statement of each couplet is chosen, and the unknown organism is included in the key, a confident identification is usually achieved.
in poetry, a pair of lines with rhyming end words
- verse of a song
couplet m (plural couplets)